The Platform Design Toolkit is a set of practical tools and methods that can help organizations design and develop successful platform businesses. It was created by Simone Cicero as a derivative of the Business Model Canvas.
These tools and methods can be used by organizations of all sizes and in all industries to design and develop successful platform businesses.
When to use
The first platform design method ever codified, released in 2013, optimized to help you build multi-sided, transformative platform strategies to empower ecosystems in creating shared value: it’s open-source, adopted worldwide by global Fortune 500 leaders, leading institutions, startups, and scaleups.
How to use
The Platform Design Toolkit covers all stages, from exploration to design, to validation and growth.
- Increase strategic awareness: platform opportunity exploration
- Explore opportunities: scan the ecosystem and transform the value chain
- Design your platform experiences with solid business models
- Validate your assumptions - create experiments and interviews to avoid developing things your customers don't care about
- Launch, grow and evolve your platform strategy: Get to liquidity, leverage flywheels and choose the right growth engines: create defensible strategies
What you get
- Identify Platform Opportunities,
- Design Platform Experiences and
- pursue Validation and Growth.